Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
By: George “Kickstand” Pandoff
Continuing my pursuit for a little more grunt, I installed the Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer. This simple fifteen minute modification is suppose to improve air fuel mixture and increase the amount of air getting into the engine.
If you decided to get this modification, purchase the Throttle Body Spacer for a 4.0 liter 1995 YJ. DO NOT purchase the spacer for the 2.5 liter. The 2.5 liter is a smaller bore size than the 4.0 liter.
Installing the Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
- Loosen the clamp holding the air intake plumbing from the top of the Throttle Body (TB) and move aside.
- Within the air intake plastic plumbing is a kind of box located over the valve cover, remove these bolts that hold it down.
- At the base of the TB are 4 bolts holding the TB to the intake manifold, remove them.
- Separate the TB from the intake manifold and remove the old gasket.
- With a gasket on the top and bottom of the TB Spacer place it in between the TB and the Intake Manifold.
- Using the new longer bolts, tighten down the TB and TB Spacer to the Intake Manifold in a diagonal corner to corner pattern.
- Connect the air intake plumbing back onto the TB.
- The included spacer will go under the air intake plumbing box. Using the remaining long bolt tighten this down. DO NOT over tighten these bolts. The heads will cut right through the plastic mounting tabs.
Many after market products make silly claims about how much horsepower “could” be gained. With out dyno testing, you cannot honestly tell by the seat of your pants how much was gained. I will say that this modification was noticeable. The engine has a little bit more pull and it seems to come on a little earlier.
Since I cannot accurately estimate how much was gained, I can only judge as to whether I thought it was worth the money. With out a doubt, I recommend this modification to any 4 Banger owner.
I give this modification 4 out of 4 tires.
$69 through a local 4WD shop.
Keep in mind many stores will price match or get really close to the prices found online.